Spring is the perfect time to take care of the little things that can make a big difference for you and your home.
· Check your roof: Check your roof for leaks, missing shingles, rotted areas, make sure flashing is in tact. Get these fixed before the moisture does more expensive damage to your home.
· Inspect your Cooling System: Have a qualified heating and cooling contractor clean and service the cooling system. Clean coils operate more efficiently, and an annual service call will keep the system working at peak performance levels. Change interior filters on a regular basis.
· Clean gutters and add extensions: Improper drainage from leaf filled, loose, leaky or gutters too close to the foundation can lead to water in the basement.
· Raking: Raking your lawn is probably how you finished working in the yard late last fall. In the spring it is a good idea to begin everything with that same rake. Give your yard a thorough, deep raking before you begin to mow or treat the grass. Raking allows you to pull up any thatch that may have accumulated over the winter when the grass was less springy. It also gives you a chance to find any dead spots or compacted areas that need special attention. When a lawn becomes compacted, you need to use an aerator to loosen the soil and allow the grass to grow more easily once more.
· Check lawn equipment: Check your gas and battery-powered lawn equipment to make sure it is ready for summer use. Clean equipment and sharpen cutting blades will make yardwork easier.