This year we go back to Standard Time on Sunday 11/3, when the majority of the USA will be “falling back” as they change the clocks. One benefit of the time change is that it reminds you to take care of some other important home tasks that should be done at least twice a year. So while you are setting your clocks back, use this time as an opportunity
to take care of these important tasks in your home.
10 Things To Do When You Set Your Clocks Backward
· Replace the batteries in your Smoke Detector and Carbon Monoxide Detector Making sure to replace and test these devices twice a year can be the difference between life and death. Make sure to help any elderly loved ones in your life as well. If they can’t do it on their own, some fire departments have programs that will assist.
· Reverse the direction on your ceiling fan In the Spring fan blades should rotate counter clockwise to help cool down the rooms. In the Fall, switch the direction to clockwise which helps pull down the warm air that gets trapped near the ceiling. This helps save cost on heating and cooling.
· Flip and rotate your mattress to help promote even wear and tear
Unless you have a no flip mattress. Then just rotate it.
· Schedule a furnace inspection. This should be done twice a year to make sure your
furnace is running as efficiently as possible.
· Replace the filters in your heater and air conditioner This should actually be done several times a year to ensure they run as efficiently as possible.
· If you have a fireplace, scheduled a chimney sweep in the Fall and in the Spring take some time to clean up the fireplace and brush down the walls.
· Clean Out Dryer Lint Trap, Trap Housing and Vent Duct When lint builds up, it
restricts airflow and can lead to overheating, which can ignite the lint itself.
· Go through you medicine cabinet and first aid kit and discard any expired or discolored products. Dispose of any prescription medication that is expired or no longer needed.
You can search on FDA.gov for how to safely dispose of medications.
· Go through your pantry and dispose of any expired or stale/opened foods.
· Rotate Your Wardrobe