11 Tips for Surviving A Heat Wave Without Air-Conditioning
Medical Author: Melissa Conrad Stöppler, MD Medical Editor: William C. Shiel Jr., MD, FACP, FACR
1. Use box fans and ceiling fans to promote air circulation throughout your home.
2. Take advantage of the cooling power of water.
3. Head downstairs.
4. Eliminate extra sources of heat.
5. Remember to maintain an adequate level of hydration.
6. Avoid alcoholic beverages and caffeine.
7. Make a homemade "air conditioning" system.
8. Try to visit public buildings with air conditioning.
9. Don't eat large, protein-rich meals.
10. Be able to recognize the symptoms of heat-related illnesses.
11. Remember that pets also suffer when the temperature rises.