Summer Solstice: First Day of Summer 6-21-19
Raspberry Lassi is a refreshing summer drink, similar to a thin smoothie, originally from India. It is a blend of fruit, yogurt, water, sugar and spices with addition of ice. The most famous is mango lassi, but there is no reason why we couldn’t use any other fruit. This time I used raspberries which are more common to colder regions of the Earth. Instead of more traditional rose water or cardamom, almond extract gives this lassi a richer flavor. Serve this simple Raspberry Lassi for any summer gathering and your guests will be very pleased.
A traditional Ayurvedic beverage, lassi is India's answer to the smoothie. Author Sarah Pope MGA
1 cup yogurt or kefir preferably raw
1/2 cup milk preferably raw
1 cup fresh fruit
2 tsp raw honey optional
2 drops stevia extract optional
1 cup ice optional
1. Pour yogurt into clean, wide mouthed, quart sized mason jar
2. Add milk to the mason jar.
3. Add fresh fruit of choice. I used raspberries. Mango cubes, sliced peaches or strawberries work well too.
4. Add optional honey or stevia drops and ice if desired.
5. Blend for 15 seconds with a hand-held immersion blender. If you want to add ice to your lassi, use a regular blender instead of a handheld stick blender.
Serve immediately. Refrigerate leftovers.