Back To Blog

VT Homestead Declaration & Property Tax Adjustment Claim

This form must be filed each year by every Vermont resident whose property meets the definition of a homestead. 

A Vermont homestead is the principal dwelling and parcel of land surrounding the dwelling, owned and occupied by a resident individual as the individual’s domicile on April 1. If your homestead is leased to a tenant on April 1, you may still claim it as a homestead if it is not leased for more than 182 days in the 2019 calendar year.

What you will need to file:

In addition to the property owner’s basic information, you should have the following available when filing:

· The property’s School Property Account Number (SPAN) printed on the property tax bill

· The property owner’s Social Security Number

· The code of the Vermont school district in which the property is located, which may be found on the property tax bill (the school code is the middle three digits of the SPAN).

How to file:       

Send the HS-122 form to the Vermont Department of Taxes OR File your claim online at

(NOTE: Form may be included in your tax return.)

If you need assistance filing this form, please consult your tax accountant.



    Add Comment

    Comments are moderated. Please be patient if your comment does not appear immediately. Thank you.


    1. No comments. Be the first to comment.